Check out our other pages
The Sacrament of Marriage – Weddings
Parish of the Annunciation Rathfarnham Sacrament of Marriage – WeddingsCongratulations on your decision to get married. It’s an exciting time with lots of wedding planning ahead!

While you need only give three months’ notice of your intention to marry it is common practice for a couple to book the church a long time in advance. So it is important to contact the Parish Priest/Office to make sure that the church is available on the day you require. You will also need to look at participating in a marriage preparation course which is a lovely way for you as a couple to take a look at your own relationship. The Civil Authorities also have state requirements which must be fulfilled.

To make an appointment with one of the priests of the parish regarding your wedding, or to complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form please call the parish office (353) (01) 495 8695
or email [email protected]

Church Requirements
Church Law requires three month’s notice of your intention to marry. You should contact your own Parish; the parish you have been living in for the last six months and inform one of the priests of your intention to marry. Make an appointment with him to complete your Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form, which must be done prior to the date of your wedding. You will require the following documents
  • a recent copy of your Baptismal Certificate
  • a Confirmation Certificate
  • Letters of Freedom, which may be obtained from any Parish in which you have lived for six months or more since reaching the age of sixteen.

It is strongly recommended that couples preparing for marriage complete a pre-marriage course. Course are run by Accord the Catholic Marriage Advisory Centre for the Diocese Tel. 01 478 0866 or

Freedom to marry:
The rules governing freedom to marry in the Catholic Church can be complicated. The best advice when one party has been married previously (either in a civil or religious ceremony) is not to make arrangements until the diocesan office has been consulted.

Mixed Marriages:
Special permissions are required for full Church recognition of marriages between a Roman Catholic and a baptised non-Catholic or someone unbaptised. Applications are handled by the diocesan office once the priest of the catholic party has forwarded the standard paperwork.

Civil Law Requirements
Requirements for Civil Registration
When the couple have chosen the date, church and priest for their marriage (and confirmed these matters with the relevant priest or priests), they will then need to make an appointment to meet with any civil registrar in person to give notice of their intention to marry. This meeting with the registrar must take place at least three months before the wedding in order to comply with the civil requirement. The couple will be required to bring the following documentation to the registrar’s office:
  • photo identity (preferably a passport or driving license)
  • names and dates of birth of witnesses
  • name of the church where they wish to be married
  • name of the priest who will officiate at the marriage; this presumes that the celebrant is a registered solemniser and that he has agreed to officiate at the marriage.
  • If either party has been previously married, they must provide the civil registrar with an original divorce decree or a death certificate if widowed.

When all the civil requirements have been completed satisfactorily the couple will receive, from the registrar, a Marriage Registration Form (MRF). Without this form the couple cannot get married nor may the solemniser proceed with the marriage ceremony. Both the solemniser and the parish priest of the place of marriage will receive notification from the civil registrar’s office concerning the marriage due to take place. The couple must present the MRF to the solemniser before the wedding so that he can check that the details are correct before marriage takes place. This should be done as early as is convenient. If changes are necessary – for instance, changing the name of the solemniser – the couple should contact the civil registrar to arrange for the re-issue of the MRF at the earliest possible stage before the ceremony.

After the wedding, the solemniser must ensure that the MRF is signed by the couple, the two witnesses and himself. After the marriage has been celebrated, it is the responsibility of the couple (not the local priest or solemniser) to return the MRF to any Registrar’s Office. This form must be returned within one month of the marriage.

While all of the above business can be done with any civil registrar, it may be useful for you to know that the name, address and contact details of the Civil Registrar for Dublin is: Civil Registration Service, Joyce House, 8/11 Lombard Street East, Dublin 2. Opening Hours: 09.30-16:30 Mon- Fri (through lunch). Tel: 01 863 8200 (Serving of three month notice for marriage is by appointment only).

Legislation requires that the solemniser (the priest who officiates at the marriage) must ask the couple to make a verbal declaration of no civil impediment. It is recommended practice that this declaration is made at the beginning of the wedding, when the bride and groom arrive at the sanctuary.

In order to summarise the above legal requirements for valid civil registration of marriage, please study the following check-list of what the couple must do:

  • meet one of the local parish clergy
  • book the church where you wish to marry
  • meet a civil registrar at least three months before the wedding to give notice of your intention to marry
  • receive the Marriage Registration Form (MRF) from the civil registrar
  • bring the MRF to the solemniser
  • make the verbal declaration of no civil impediment in the presence of each other and before the solemniser and the two witnesses at the beginning of the wedding ceremony (or not more than two days beforehand)
  • return the signed MRF to any civil registrar not later than one month after the wedding
Pre Marriage Courses
All couples intending to marry are expected to participate in a marriage preparation course. The courses are prepared and presented by married couples and are a lovely way for you as a couple to take a look at your own relationship. This is time for yourselves, and time that will be really well spent. For further information about Accord Pre-Marriage Courses in the Dublin area, please ring Accord at 01 478 0866 Email: [email protected], or book online on the Accord website
Parish of the Annunciation Rathfarnham Sacrament of Marriage – WeddingsPreparing your Marriage Ceremony
  • The marriage ceremony should normally take place in a church in the bride’s parish. If the couple have a good reason for getting married elsewhere, the bride should inform a priest in the parish where she is now living to give her the necessary Letter of Permission to get married outside the parish. Obviously, in this case, the couple will need to make arrangements for the use of the church in the parish where they intend to get married.

  • Normally a priest from the bride’s parish officiates at the marriage ceremony, assuming that the ceremony takes place in the bride’s parish. If you wish to have another priest (e.g. a relative or friend) officiate, inform the priest in the parish where the ceremony is to take place and he will give the necessary authorisation. In Civil Law, it is now a legal requirement for the solemniser (the priest who officiates at the marriage) to be on the ‘List of Solemnisers’ submitted by each local Bishop to the Registrar-General.

    Celebrants from Overseas:
  • All diocesan priests in the Republic of Ireland are on the State’s ‘List of Solemnisers’. In order for a priest from oversees to be placed on this list in a temporary capacity, it is necessary for him to send his name, address and telephone number to the Diocesan Office. The Diocesan Office in Carlow will then contact the officiating priest to formalise matters with him.

  • Ask the priest who is to officiate at your wedding to help you with the task of creating your marriage ceremony. There are a variety of prayers, blessings, readings, etc. Read through these together and choose the ones you prefer. Choose the person(s) who will read at Mass, person(s) to read the Prayers of the Faithful and the people to bring up the gifts at the Offertory. Rehearse the ceremony in church with the priest before the wedding day.  You can let people know about the church webcam or ask for the ceremony to be recorded.

  • To celebrate the sacrament of Marriage does not require the celebration of Eucharist (Mass). While it has been generally the custom, it may not always be appropriate for example in a “mixed” marriage or when a couple are not regularly practising. Some couples today find the celebration of Marriage without the Eucharist, to be more appropriate for them.

  • Marriages on Sundays, Holydays and some special Church celebrations (Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, St.Patrick’s Day, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Feast of All Souls) are not permitted in this Diocese. Check below unsuitable dates in 2020.

Websites to help you plan your day

“To love someone means to be the only one to see a miracle that is invisible to others.”
Francois Mauriac (1885-1979)

Unsuitable days for Weddings 2020
See below the dates that as well as Sundays are not available for church weddings.

Parish of the Annunciation Rathfarnham Sacrament of Marriage – Weddings2020 Major Feast Days and Holy Days of Obligation

Wednesday, January 1, 2020  Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God

Thursday, May 21, 2020 Ascension of Jesus

Saturday,August 15, 2020 Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Tuesday, December 8, 2020 The Immaculate Conception of The Blessed Virgin Mary

Friday, December 25, 2020    Christmas Day